Search: Sort by:
 
 
  Search

U.S. NAVY 4th FLEET IN RECIFE * - THE 4th FLEET - 169 PAGES *

97)DE 177 REYBOLD



Photo.www.navsource.org By John Klar


Class: CANNON


Type: DET (diesel-electric tandem motor drive, long hull, 3" guns)


Displacement: 1,240 tons (std) 1,620 tons (full)


Dimensions: 306' (oa), 300' (wl) x 36' 10" x 11' 8" (max)


Armament: 3 x 3"/50 Mk22 (1x3), 1 twin 40mm Mk1 AA, 8 x 20mm Mk 4 AA, 3 x 21" Mk15 TT (3x1),1 Hedgehog Projector Mk10 (144 rounds), 8 Mk6 depth charge projectors, 2 Mk9 depth charge tracks.


Machinery: 4 GM Mod. 16-278A diesel engines with electric drive, 6000 shp, 2 screws.


Speed: 21 knots.


Range: 10,800 nm @ 12 knots.


Crew: 15 / 201.


3 May 1943: Keel laid at the Federal Shipbuilding & Dry Dock Co., Port Newark, N.J.


22 August 1943: Launched and christened, sponsored by Mrs. John K. Reybold, widow of Lt. Comdr. John K. Reybold


29 September 1943: Commissioned, Lcdr A. B. Bradley, Jr., in command15 August 1944: Decommissioned at Natal, Brazil and transferred to Brazil.


Renamed CT Bauru (D-18)


20 July 1953: Stricken


Preserved by the Brazilian Navy at the "Centro Cultural da Marinha" in Rio de Janeiro


Following shakedown off Bermuda, DE 177 Reybold operated briefly under ComSubLant, then completed an escort run from Rhode Island to the Canal Zone. She then steamed to Norfolk before the end of 1943 and, on 2 January 1944, she sailed south to join the 4th Fleet. On the 15th, she arrived at Recife, Brazil, whence she escorted ships to Trinidad and back until July, interrupting that duty only for air/sea rescue operations at the end of May. In July, she guarded the sea lanes between Brazil and Gibraltar, anchoring off the latter 13-15 July and returning to Recife on the 23d to prepare for transfer to the Brazilian Navy.Navv as Bauru(D-18).


Shifting to Natal on 9 August, Reybold was decommissioned and transferred under the terms of lend-lease to Brazil on 15 August 1944. Renamed Bauru, she continued operations under that name throughout the remainder of World War II and the 1940's. She was returned to the custody of the United States and transferred, permanently, under the terms of the military defense aid program, to Brazil on 30 June 1953. Since that time, she has served the Brazilian Navy.


     DANFS  DICTIONARY OF AMERICAN NAVAL FIGHTING SHIPS


 

OTHER ARTICLES YOU MAY FIND SIMILAR

Copyright www.sixtant.net 2007/2017