Search: Sort by:
 
 
  Search

U.S. NAVY 4th FLEET IN RECIFE * - THE 4th FLEET - 169 PAGES *

96)DE 176 MICKA



Photo www.navsource.org  By  Jason Stevenson for his grandfather, George Stevenson


Class: CANNON


Type: DET (diesel-electric tandem motor drive, long hull, 3" guns)


3 May 1943: Keel laid at the Federal Shipbuilding & Dry Dock Co., Kearny, N.J.


22 August 1943: Launched and christened, sponsored by Mrs. Edward Micka, widow of Lieutenant Micka


23 September 1943: Commissioned, Lt. G. C. Spencer in command


14 June 1946: Decommissioned at Green Cove Springs, Fla.


1 August 1965: Stricken


15 May 1967: Sold for scrapping to the Peck Iron & Metal Co. of Portsmouth, Va.


Displacement: 1,240 tons (std) 1,620 tons (full)


Dimensions: 306' (oa), 300' (wl) x 36' 10" x 11' 8" (max)


Armament: 3 x 3"/50 Mk22 (1x3), 1 twin 40mm Mk1 AA, 8 x 20mm Mk 4 AA, 3 x 21" Mk15 TT (3x1), 1 Hedgehog Projector Mk10 (144 rounds), 8 Mk6 depth charge projectors, 2 Mk9 depth charge tracks.


Machinery: 4 GM Mod. 16-278A diesel engines with electric drive, 6000 shp, 2 screws.


Speed: 21 knots.


Range: 10,800 nm @ 12 knots.


Crew: 15/201


Assigned to Escort Division 24, DE 176 MICKA guarded merchantmen and naval supply vessels plying the waters of the eastern Atlantic from Recife, Brazil, to New York until 12 November 1944. She then reported at Recife for 3 months of mid-ocean antisubmarine patrols with the 4th Fleet.


    DANFS   DICTIONARY OF AMERICAN NAVAL FIGHTING SHIPS


 

OTHER ARTICLES YOU MAY FIND SIMILAR

Copyright www.sixtant.net 2007/2017