Search: Sort by:
 
 
  Search

ROYAL NAVY SOUTH ATLANTIC COMMAND - ROYAL NAVY C D SHIPS *

14)CORFU F 86 (ARMED M CRUISER)




Built: 1930


Tonnage: 14,293 / 8,909


Dimensions: Length: 543 ft Beam: 71 ft 5 in Draught 29 ft 9 in


Laid down as Chefoo on 9/9/1930, but her name was changed to Corfu before being launched by Alexander Stephen & Sons Glasgow, Yard No 534, 0n 20/5/1931. A Passenger Liner for the Peninsular & Oriental Steam Navigation Company London. 17/10/1961 demolition started by Miyachi Salvage Co. Ltd. at Osaka.


Propulsion: Twin Screws, Six Parsons geared steam turbines, 14000shp, giving 18 knots.


Armament: 8 x 6in Mk VII, and 2 x 12pdr AA guns


14/9/1939 requisitioned by the Admiralty for conversion to an armed merchant cruiser at Belfast. Her after funnel was removed and after completion she required further work on the Clyde. 


25/11/1939 commissioned 


December 1939 - June 1940: Northern Patrol


June 1940: Western Approaches Command


July 1940 - September 1941: Freetown Escort Force 


10/7/1940 collided with HMS Hermes, when escorting a convoy leaving Freetown, resulting in a 30 foot long hole in her starboard bow. She was towed stern first back into Freetown for emergency repairs and then left for Calcutta for full repairs. Hermes was docked at Simonstown for major repairs to her bows 


October 1941 - February 1942: East Indies Station


March 1942 - August 1942: Eastern Fleet (Indian Ocean)


September 1942 - April 1943: South Atlantic Station 


17/10/1942 arrived at Southampton for a six month refit including rearmament
9 x 6in, 4 x 4in AA guns, 2 x 2pdr AA guns, 19 x 20mm AA guns and 2 Kingfisher Seaplanes. With her gunnery radar she was now the best equipped AMC. 


On 7 Jul 1942 HMS Corfu rescued survivors of the Dutch merchant Benakat and landed them at Freetown. Some survivors made ashore at Ascension Is. and were treated at the 175º Field Hospital.


May 1943 - February 1944: West Africa Command 


17/2/1944 returned and converted for use as troopship.


31/8/1947 returned to owner.


24/3/1961 sold through Mitsui Bussan Kaisha, Japan for demolition and renamed Corfu Maru for the voyage to Japan. and subsequently reported laid up at Osaka.


By http://forums.clydemaritime.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=10296


 

OTHER ARTICLES YOU MAY FIND SIMILAR

Copyright www.sixtant.net 2007/2020