Search: Sort by:
 
 
  Search

BRAZILIAN NAVY NORTHEAST NAVAL FORCE *

7)TANKER MARAJO



Picture. Diretoria do Patrimonio Historico e Documentação da marinha


Laid down 1924


Incorporated 1937


Decomm. (Brz Navy): 30 May 1950


Tonnage: 7,930 tons


Length:121.92 m


Beam: 15.92 m


Draught: 7.70 m.


Propulsion: Triple expansion  Steam boilers max. power 3.100 hp.


Speed: 10 nós.


Armament: 1 120 mm gun, 1 20 mm Madsen machinegun.


Complement: 92.


Tanker Marajo, ex-Malistan, was the second ship from Brazilian Navy to bear this name after the Island located at Amazon estuary. She was built by Bartram & Sons Ltd, Sunderland, England 1924, purchased at 1936 and incorporated 1937. The first Commander was Lieutenant Comm. Antônio Pedro de Cerqueira e Sousa. 


Tanker Marajo was built at Bertran & Company, Sunderland in England.
Her keel was laid in 1922, bearing the name SS Malistan and the number 255. The ship was ordered by The Steam Shipping Company LimitedShe was acquired by the Brazilian Government through a representative of the Navy of Brazil, then Frigate Captain Naval Engineer Silvio Weguelin on the 22nd of December 1936, when the SS Malistan registration ended on that same date. She was incorporated by means of Notice No. 693 of March 31, 1937, having an Armament Exhibition on April 3 attended by the Chief of Staff of the Navy Vice Admiral Anfiloquio Reis.

Second Brazilian Navy ship to bear the name Marajó in honor of largest Brazilian island, located at the mouth of the Amazon River and which refers to the word tupi-guarani. The first ship was a gunboat built at the Rio de Janeiro Navy Arsenal, launched into the sea on December 24, 1885. The ship was intended for the transport of liquids and had eight tanks main, divided in the middle of the keel. In addition to the eight main tanks, there were more four complementary, divided into two expanded. The ship's hull was steel with plates 5/8 inches and was divided into three large ones by 2 coferdans.

She had two masts, one on the forward deck and the other on the midship deck. It had as superstructures: forward the castle; a midship the spardeck; and the aft the poop. The castle had only one deck, the spardeck had four and the deck had two decks, these superstructures were linked together by two points in the longitudinal direction.

The ship was powered by a motor machine, located at the stern end between the aft pick-up tank and the boiler district. This machine was an alternative to triple variable expansion with three cylinders and a propeller with 4 fixed blades. The ship had a J. Dickinson & Sons main condenser and a condenser helper Wilcox. It also had three main Scottish-type cylindrical boilers that it burned fuel oil at low pressure and had a chimney.


For navigation, the ship had a gyroscopic needle and its respective circuits, three magnetic needles, four longboat needles, a taximeter, two hand, two binoculars, a rangefinder, a stopwatch, two chronographs, a balance scale large, a navigation compass, a baffle, a estachograph, a case for drawing, a guard and a radiogoniometer.


For communications, the ship had two searchlights, five transmitters, two receivers and three antennas. It had five telephones for indoor communications, and one telegraph communicating the Tijupá to the bridge and the machines. For power and electric light, the ship it had an electric dynamo machine and an alternative steam machine single cylinder, it also had four electric motors.


Marajó was a tanker which brought vital fuel oil from foreign sources in order to supply our warships during the war once Brazil only began to extract oil and produce fuel with the creation of a National Petroleum Agency PETROBRAS from 1953 Despite oil had been found out at Lobato, a region in the outskirts of Salvador Bahia, in 1939) 


 

Select nao autorizado. You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near 'and a.id <> 3362 order by ordem asc' at line 1